Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

National Anthem

I am truly grateful to have been born in the United States. I have been very blessed throughout my life in so many aspects. I love living here. Celebrating The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays, and evokes many profound and humbling thoughts and feelings. The national anthem of the United States is no different.

Through many years of band and choir, the opportunity to sing the anthem at different events has been fantastic. To me, it has been a great way of showing how much I love this great country. 

This past weekend, I gathered my talented brothers and dad and drug them up to Sandy. We auditioned to sing at a Real Salt Lake game this coming season. Although we won't know the results from the audition until next month, it was a great opportunity. Not only did we prepare and sing "The Star Spangled Banner", but also "O Canada". Major League Soccer (MLS) has three Canadian teams, who will play Real here in Salt Lake.

The Canadian National Anthem has significance in the LeBaron family because my grandfather, Owen, was born in Canada. I have many relatives who live in Canada, and we have visited them four times during reunions in British Columbia and Alberta. I feel a kinship to Canada and have fond memories of our visits to the country up north.

One particular reunion in 2002 took place over the week of the 4th of July. It was a neat experience to sing the their national anthem with them, and to hear our Canadian cousins sing our national anthem with us. It was my first time I remember hearing the Canadian National Anthem. Ever since then, I vowed to learn it. That goal is now a reality, and I have to say, I love the anthem. It has a beautiful melody and the arrangement we sang has gorgeous harmony.

Spending time practicing and performing this song with my brothers has been time well spent. But it has also helped me appreciate my connection to Canada. I just hope we get to sing at least one of the Anthems this coming season, in front of 20,000 soccer fans!

Some of my family on our latest trip across the border. (2010)

An audio recording of our audition is available for listening at the following website:







No comments:

Post a Comment