Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

My Dad's Health

As I got off of the bus this past Wednesday, I received a text from my brother. The text told me that my Dad's kidneys were failing and that he wasn't doing well. I just stared at my phone. How could my Father be so sick, so suddenly? Could his time here on Earth be close to ending? I felt too young to have this prospect.

I forwarded the text I received to Airin, who was waiting for me at our apartment. When I arrived home, she immediately embraced me. Airin decided not to work that night so we could go down and visit my parents. I'm so grateful for her support.

Visiting my parents that night was a special experience. My perspective changed; my school assignments and other insignificant things in life seemed so trivial. Being faced with the prospect of having my Father sick changed everything.

My Father has overcome many trials and hardships in his life. From having an extremely dysfunctional family growing up, to beating colon cancer in the early 90's, my Father has persevered through much. And I haven't ever heard him complain about any of those trials.

This time around, we aren't sure what is exactly what is wrong. For weeks my Dad has struggled with energy, fatigue and sleeping. Initial tests indicated that his kidneys are working at a 27% capacity and there may be some sort of tumor in his neck. The Doctor wasn't sure what it was or what effect it has on him.

As I am writing this, my Dad is at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo, taking additional tests. I hope they can find out exactly what is going on and how to help him feel better. I know he hates being there, but I know it is for the best.

Me and my Father circa 1988.
So if you're reading this, I ask for your prayers on his behalf. I love my Dad very much and know through faith everything will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment