In May, I graduated from the University of Utah with a Bachelor's degree in Mass Communication. My internship ended shortly thereafter, and I was ready to look for a job.
Today marks exactly one month since that internship ended. It's been a good, but stressful month. Here are some thoughts I've had with education, school degrees and employment and some of my frustrations relating to them.
I appreciate it when I receive a rejection email. From about mid-April until now, I've applied for over 40 jobs. These jobs are both in and out of the field of study, such as event managers or coordinators, communication specialists, USPS letter carriers and even administrative assistants. Most of the time, I don't hear back from them, but when I do, it is with a message like this:
At first, I became more frustrated. "Thank you for your interest, but you suck!" is how I read it sometimes. But after putting in so many applications, it is nice to actually hear back. I don't have to wonder anymore.
The degree gets you looked at, internships and relevant experience get you the job. Part of my problem has been the jobs in my field (PR, Advertising & Marketing). I only have 1-1.5 years experience with that sort of thing, and even then, it is limited. Most job postings I see are for 3-5 years experience. And my thought is, "how can I get more experience if nobody will give me a chance to gain that experience?". I had three great internships while studying at the U. One with the Gallivan Center, one with the Wayne Brown Institute, and one with the LDS Church. But for what employers are looking for, it is hard to get.
That means one should take advantage of every opportunity to get experience. I wish I would have written for the U.'s newspaper, for example. I would like to have that on my resume, and have that experience under my belt.
Underemployment is real. Another problem is the number of graduates that are also looking for jobs like me. The job market is fierce. Only a small number seem to get those highly-coveted jobs. And the rest of us have to scrounge making something less, being overqualified for the job. Some people just stop looking and decide to pick a job that they can get.
Education doesn't always equal more money. But I would rather have a degree than not. Before coming to the U., I worked at US Synthetic. I made $12.40, and was bound for a raise. But I quit, thinking that if I got a Bachelor's degree, that I'd be able to make much more than that in just a few short years. And that is still a real possibility, but I realize that it isn't automatic. A lot of it depends on what you study and the experience you gain.
And now, one personal things I've learned:
I love seeing my daughter grow. I have had a unique opportunity that most fathers don't have. I have been able to spend lots of time with Lily. I enjoy being a dad, no matter how exhausting it is.
That being said, I have a second job interview with an insurance company as an underwriter. I hope I get that job so Airin doesn't have to work any longer.
No comments:
Post a Comment