Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Family Band Tour 2005

I've been thinking about memories of my father, and many of them revolve around trips we went on. They stick out to me because it was out of the ordinary, and really built family appreciation for me.
Me, senior year of high school -2005

"Family Band Tour 2005"

My senior year in high school was far-and-away the best year in school up to that point. I found my niche with music and really enjoyed the many experiences that created. I was in jazz band, did a few pit orchestras for the drama department and started a quartet with three other guys. I loved it.

Like every other year preceding it, we were going on a band trip in the springtime. We were going to be heading to southern Utah, visiting a handful of colleges and universities as well as other places down there. The school needed chaperones to accompany us, as there we plenty of hyper, energetic and somewhat annoying high school band students. My sister, Heidi, who had come on other band trips before, signed up to come. My sister-in-law was in the orchestra and I believe talked her sister and her husband (my brother) into coming. I thought that would be fun to have three members of my family come.

When the band director needed a few more chaperones and someone to drive a trailer, he approached my mom when she came to pick me up for school. After talking it over with my dad, they decided to come.

So let's recap. Michael was on his mission, so he wasn't coming. Lane and I would be going as students. My mom and dad would be driving the trailer. Heidi, Robert and Natalie were all coming as chaperones. To top it off, no one would be able to watch my little brother, Sterling, who was in elementary school. So he came too.

It was kind of funny when all the other band and orchestra students learned that basically my entire family had come on this band trip. It was fun having all of them there. It was like a family trip.... with 70 other students.

Sometimes I was able to ride with my parents. Sometimes I was able to be with my band friends. But overall, it was one heck of a memorable experience. Another great example of my parents supporting me in everything that had to do with music. I am very grateful we had that opportunity. I will cherish that memory for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I'm glad you look back at it with fond memories! I don't think Lane was as happy about it then, maybe he smiles about it now? Lol
    I loved that trip, even being 7 months pregnant with Austin in a school bus that long! Great memory Mark! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete