Seven years ago, as a young 19-year-old, I embarked on the most memorable experience of my life. I said goodbye to my family as they dropped me off at the MTC, where I was for just over two weeks. I then flew to Detroit, Michigan. Little did I know what sort of an impact it would have on my life.
My mission experience was the most challenging two years of my life. It stretched me in every way possible. Some days I didn't know if I could make it the full two years. But gratefully I finished it honorably.
Not one day goes by that I don't think about some aspect of that time. Some days I think about a person I met, a companion or investigator. Sometimes it is an experience. I'm truly thankful for Facebook, which allows me to stay in contact with many people I met while being a missionary.
After graduation in May, I was searching for a job. I found one that I thought would be a good start. It was based in Michigan and had a branch not far from my house. I sent in my application and résumé, and got an interview. I was interviewed with three separate native Michiganders that day, and told each of them I had lived in Michigan. We discussed what I was doing there and a few experiences I had there. That was the turning point I think. I became memorable. I stuck out in their minds. And out of nearly 100 applicants, I was offered the position. What a blessing! I think I owe part of getting this job to serving in Michigan.
I look back on my time there with great love for the people of Michigan. I wouldn't trade any moment of my experiences during that two years with anything in this world. I learned to work hard, study, follow a schedule, talk and relate to people, develop compassion and empathy towards people, and be selfless. I'm far from perfect in any of those areas, but have been richly blessed by the missionary program.
Now my brother is in the MTC, headed to South Carolina. I'm happy and excited for him. I know he'll do a great job. Part of me wishes I could go for another two years. Then I realize: I've passed that point in my life. Time to focus on what is at hand and feel grateful for the experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment