My work recently sent me to Michigan for some training, or what is called a "school". It is something they do a few times a year for associates in all the branches. It was a really wonderful visit and I am excited to go back again. That probably won't happen for at least a year.
I flew into Lansing after a short layover in St. Paul, Minnesota. The airport in Lansing is pretty small, but nice. I liked how few people were there.
My initial reaction to driving to the hotel was how small Lansing is. After living and working in Detroit as a missionary, I assumed Michigan's Capitol would be much more populated than it is. It seems like a really nice place with plenty of open space.
Airin and Lily were able to join me. They flew direct to Detroit, where Airin picked up a rental car and drove the hour and a half to Lansing. It was a grueling trip because she had worked the entire night before and had to deal with our sixteen-month octopus on the plane. So kudos to her for being able to do it!
During the days I would walk from the hotel to the office. It is literally a five-minute walk away. I learned quite a bit from the school on one line of insurance we write. There were many other associates there from most of the branches we write in. I met some great people.
While I was at the school, Airin and Lily went and did exciting things around Lansing. They visited a zoo, an adventure center, and a number of parks. I think they had fun.
We got a crib for Lily at the hotel but she did NOT like it one bit. I think it was too small and not comfortable enough for her. On night two, we brought her into our king-sized bed to sleep. This was much better for her, but not very comfortable for us. I would wake up a number of times throughout the night with her kicking me in the back or kidney as she likes to move around when she sleeps. I longed for sleeping at home so she could have her own crib to sleep in again.
I was excited to visit a few people with Airin and Lily. I had been to Michigan three times before: As a missionary from 2006-2008; with my parents in 2009; for a sealing of a girl we taught in 2011. It was about time to return.
Unfortunately, we only had Friday afternoon and Saturday to visit people. Had we a few more days, I would have spent some time in Southfield. I was able to see the Sistas in Detroit. It was a nice reunion. You know when you get together with old friends after a few years and it feels like you don't miss a beat? That's what it felt like.
It was fun to drive through the east side of Detroit. I wanted to show Airin I was not making up how terrible some of the streets and houses look. I think she was nervous, but we had no problems. Detroit has so many good people there.
We were able to head up to Grand Blanc, where we stayed the night on Friday and Saturday before flying home. It is really hard to travel with babies. Between messing up nap time and meal time and being in a foreign place, it left us with limited opportunity to go places and see people. But we were able to reconnect with a few great people there.
Flying home we got to sit next to each other on both flights. We had a layover in Minnesota and then came back to Salt Lake City. We were happy to be home and find all things well. We only had a few home-cooked meals while we were there, so it was really nice to start eating that way again. I also drank a bunch of soda while there to keep me awake in class. The thought of drinking soda now makes my stomach churn a little bit. I don't know how people consume that stuff regularly. We were also happy to be in our own bed again and let Lily sleep in her comfortable crib.
It was a pretty fun trip. I am thankful that work paid my way out there for the school and Airin and Lily were able to join me. Michigan isn't so bad. At least it is really green.
For more pictures of our adventures, go here.


No comments:
Post a Comment