Pages

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Graduation

After two long years of studying Information Systems, I am finally done. It was a very interesting journey since starting class in January of 2016. I blogged already about being accepted into the program and about halfway through. I’ll pick up from my last blogpost. 

The Update

The 2017 spring semester I learned some foundational things about databases (learning SQL), cloud computing and text mining. It turned out be to a good semester and the timing of the semester was impeccable as Hyrum was born a few days after I finished my final. I only had one semester left at that point.

The summer semester started a few weeks after the end of the spring semester. I signed up for classes and went the first day but felt overwhelmed with what I was supposed to do during the course of that semester, which also involved studying independently for a certification (Oracle 11g Certified Associate for database). It was a bit too much, especially as we had just had a baby and the transition from 2 to 3 kids was pretty challenging. So I made the tough decision to take the summer off from going to school and attempting to finish it in the Fall semester. I studied for the certification during the summer with plans to take it before my first class in the Fall started. 

As for the classes, I took a five-week business statistics class and then took a Web Applications class, learning some php, HTML, CSS and jQuery. I also utilized some SQL I had learned and studied earlier in the year. Because of how poorly I had done the first semester, I had to pull myself out of a GPA-hole in order to get a 3.0 to graduate. Thankfully, I made it. It took my professor three weeks to post our final grades, so I was waiting on pins and needles all through December, waiting to hear if I had a high enough grade in order to graduate. 

Lessons Learned

I have learned so many things through the program about many different things. Personally, I struggled with anxiety, depression and sometimes even panic attacks at balancing everything. I felt so much pressure to do well, not only to get done on time, but also prove that I could do it. I would play the “what-if” game way too much. What if I was not cut out to do something in the Information Systems field? What if I just wasted two years of my life and thousands of dollars going through all this stress? Am I a good enough husband and father? Am I a good enough provider? Will it even be worth it? I definitely had some dark times here and there. As a side note, I had a number of people tell me that earning a Master’s degree came at quite a cost. One person in particular told me a friend’s marriage did not survive the earning of their degree. So I guess it is supposed to require everything you have. I am guessing most everyone who earns a Master degree has the same experience.

Going Forward

So what do I do from here? I am not sure. After going crazy for two years, I just want a break for a bit. I have a good job with Auto-Owners and plan on staying there while I look. I could go back to Lansing, Michigan and work for AO as a business analyst or something, which I am considering. I learned I do not like developing or coding. Those were the classes I struggled the most in. The ones where business and tech were blended were more interesting to me. So we will see what opportunities there are out there. 

Acknowledgments 

The most important part of all of this is a huge thank you to my wife. Airin has been so unbelievably supportive to me throughout the process of going back to graduate school. So many days she has dealt with all the kids all day and has helped me when I have been the most discouraged. She believes in me more than I do sometimes and I appreciate it more than I can say. I could not have finished without her. I am a very lucky man. 

Other Special Shoutouts:
  • My kids - For not having me around at least two days a week
  • Lane LeBaron - For allowing me to borrow his old Windows machine so I could run certain programs on it
  • Trevor London - For helping me through many classes and giving me perspective
  • My family - For their prayers and support
  • Harmons in Draper - For allowing me to use their upstairs eating area and their wi-fi for hundreds of hours
  • The library in Taylorsville - for the internet and quiet times 
  • Wendy’s on Foothill in Salt Lake - For the delicious pre-class dinners, namely the cheap menu items like the Jr. Cheeseburger Deluxe, Spicy Nuggets (RIP!), Regular Nuggets, vanilla frosty refreshment and the occasional Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger.
  • El Monterrey - For making the most delicious frozen burrito that fueled me many nights. 
  • Dr Pepper Snapple Group - For making the elixir of the Gods 
Thank you to all who expressed interest in me during the last few years. I appreciate all the love, support and prayers! I look forward to returning to my old self. 

Yes, I was too stupid to be accepted at BYU.

No comments:

Post a Comment